Feb 22, 2011

Still adjusting

So after a few days here, I am getting more adjusted to things.  It is odd to work at night and be sleeping for part of the day, but I am doing a little better at it.  (Now if I can figure out the best time to get to the gym!)  We go into work around 6 pm India time, and we are usually there until 3:30 or 4 am India time.  It makes for a long work day, but the time goes by pretty quickly right now.  I am sure that will change some since things are still pretty new to me, and I am still learning my way around.  I have not had much time for sight seeing since I have been here a short time, but that will soon change as well.  I may be going out this week before work some time to see a few things  in the center of town.  There will be some pretty interesting stories from this experience I have been told.....more to come on that one.  We are also travelling to the Taj Mahal Saturday and coming back on Sunday.  We have to pay out of our pocket, but I am pretty sure I won't have this opportunity again!  :)  Can't pass that up - stay tuned for pictures of that!!!! 
They eat in different locations throughout the Infosys campus, and I have been to two different ones so far.  The first night I spent 50 rupees which is about $1 for my dinner, and the second night was 20 rupees which is about $.40!!!  Here are a few pictures of my adventurous eating habits I have developed while in India.  (The first night I had Curry with Chicken, but I did not have my camera with me.)

This is an ice cream very similar to a Drumstick.  They call it tri-cone.  This one has butterscotch flavored ice cream!  Yummy.  I had this my first night at the office, and we all went back again tonight for another one! 

This Indian meal is called Aloo Paratha.  (more info below)  :)

Yes, that is me eating Aloo Paratha!!!  It was pretty good, but you have to be careful with the spice because it is HOT!
If you don't know what Aloo Paratha is (because I didn't until today), here you go:

It is one of the most popular unleavened flat-breads in Indian cuisine, Pakistani cuisine and Bengali cuisine and is made by pan frying whole-wheat flour on a tava (the griddle). The paratha dough usually contains ghee or cooking oil which is also layered on the freshly prepared paratha (literally means layers of cooked flour). Parathas are usually stuffed with vegetables such as boiled potatoes, leaf vegetables, radishes or cauliflower and/or paneer (South Asian cheese). A paratha (especially a stuffed one) can be eaten simply with a blob of butter spread on top or chutney, a spicy sauce made from yogurt and fresh herbs, but it is best served with pickles and yogurt, or thick spicy curries of meat and vegetables. Some people prefer to roll up the paratha into a tube and eat it with tea, often dipping the paratha into the tea.

I had the paratha stuffed with spicy potatoes, and the red portion in the picture is spicy pickle dipping sauce.  The white cup is a type of Indian yogurt to dip in.  Usually, you dip in the pickles then the yogurt.  The yogurt is often used to cool the spices down.  :) 

2 comments:

Sandy C said...

Looks like you are going to do fine! Seems the differences in food would be one of the hardest things to adjust to, but look at you trying it out. I'm looking forward to the pictures of Taj Mahal. I agree -- definitely something you don't want to miss.

Lisa Cook said...

I am salivating so hard right now. Sounds like you are having a great trip! Can't wait to hear more!

lisa